This week's look at the douchey-ist stuff in sports:
1. HARRY POTTER FANS -- First, our buddy Sean Van Den Berg informs us he can’t party this weekend because he’s “staying in to read Harry Potter.” Then we see images of a fan reading the latest Potter book during the playoff at the British Open. Circle jerking to a teenage, four-eyed, mushroom-cut
2. MICHAEL VICK -- The whole developing dog situation is sort of like The Usual Suspects, isn’t it, where you know Kevin Spacey is in the bad guy crew but you don’t realize he was THE guy? Then again something tells us Vick isn’t exactly the intellectual mastermind Keyser Soze was.
Anyway, all we want to know is why, Mike Vick. Why? We could understand if you were mutilating cats, but dogs? Poor form.
3. SEAN SHERK AND HERMES
4. DAUNTE CULPEPPER -- After the Dolphins granted him his release last week, quarterback Daunte Culpepper quoted Ghandi and likened his situation to the legendary civil rights leader.
Yeah. That Ghandi. They’re pretty much the same guy; both were bald and wore giant diamond earrings, and committing one’s entire life to freeing an oppressed nation is just like reading a 4-3 defence.
5. MIKE COOLBAUGH -- The minor league first base coach is going by “Coldbaugh” these days; he died Sunday night after being struck in the head by a line drive. Coldbaugh’s death is selfish for several reasons, including a) because Coldbaugh has the reaction time of molasses, the game was suspended in the ninth, denying hardworking, paying fans the opportunity to see their Arkansas Travelers finish off a 7-3 win; b) he left behind his wife and two children, with another child due in October; c) he forced us to look like cold, heartless monsters by including him on this list.
6. GOLF SPECTATORS – Have you ever seen so many people plunked with balls during one tournament? No sympathy from SOJP. First, they chose terrible vantage points – halfway down the hole, where you don’t see a golfer swing, can’t see his approach, can’t watch his putts, and only see his tee shot land on your face. Second, there’s no excuse for getting hit during a sporting event. Oh, your wife was distracting you? That’s why you hand her your VISA and leave her at the hotel, dipshit. At least they didn’t pull a Coldbaugh.
7. TIM DONAGHY -- The fixing allegations are the worst possible thing for the NBA. Worse than Ron Artest charging into the stands, worse than a steroid scandal, worse than Ron Artest ’roid raging and charging into the stands to eat a baby. Police were called to Donaghy’s home yesterday after the ref received death threats. Who is taking the situation that seriously? Our guess is gamblers who got fucked over by Donaghy’s gambling (better start working on that alibi, Michael Jordan).
8. CARNOUSTIE – What happened to Carnasty? Golf fans were treated to Carpussy on the weekend, as the course many call the toughest in the sport played tamer than Lance Bass on Valium. What happened to the vicious fescue? Every wild tee shot ended with “Oh, no, he’s in trouble now, that’s way left….oh, wait! It’s sitting up! It’s sitting up beautifully. He actually has quite a nice lie there.” I guess all the complaining after the U.S. Open scared the course maintenance crew off.
10. TIGER WOODS – It kills us to say it, but sometimes Tiger plays like Phil Mickelson looks, and vice versa. What the fuck was Tiger doing hitting iron on a par five when trailing by eight or so shots on Sunday? Was he holding out for that extra $12,346? Where are his cojones?